What does a perfect dental implant mean?
Dental implant is a modern dental technique that restores your smile and health. A beautiful smile means satisfaction and confidence in any social setting.
- How many times have you hesitated to smile, speak, eat in public, because of one or more missing teeth?
- How many times has he denied us a meal at a restaurant or other social interactions because of this shortcoming?
The dental implant is the basic element in a tooth restoration mechanism.
The patient, when he enters the office, wants teeth. But the teeth are the second stage, in this assembly, in which the first step is the implant. In dental prosthetics, there are no simple teeth, but teeth on supporting structures, on implants. In order for the final result to be flawless, we give a special attention to the beginning. The dental implant, once inserted, becomes part of the system. On the principle, "the function creates the organ", the implant becomes part of the bone volume, integrates and restores the natural load of the bone.
All about the dental implant
A dental implant is a surgical intervention, through which an artificial root is inserted into the dental arch, in the form of a piece of titanium. Dentist phobia should not prevent the choice of the optimal solution for the restoration of the teeth! Anesthesia removes any pain or embarrassment, the patient can cooperate with the doctor, during the surgical intervention, and the postoperative condition is similar to that after tooth extraction. Absolute sterile conditions, professionalism, competence and thoroughness. These conditions are met and success is guaranteed!
Components of a dental implant:
– the body of the implant
– healing cap
– the prosthetic abutment
– healing abutment
– the transfer key
– the analog implant or the copy of the implant
– the fixing screw
A correct treatment plan, in case of total edentulous prosthetics (missing all teeth) or edentulous (several missing teeth), must take into account, first of all, the possibility of dental implants due to the superior prognosis of oral rehabilitation compared to the classical therapeutic methods . (dental bridges or dental prostheses) If they are correctly thought out and applied, the percentage of success with prosthetics with dental implants is very high, specialist statistics evaluate the success rate at 95% - 98%.
The major advantages of a dental implant
The adjacent teeth, which, in the case of dental prosthetic work, must be ground, therefore altered, remain intact.
– The bone volume is preserved, according to the principle "the function creates the organ", and it is stimulated by putting it under load. The masticatory forces are thus transmitted, through this dental implant, directly to the jaw bone, conforming it according to the lines of force;
– The sensation of masticatory force is stronger than that given by the natural tooth, a detail which, however, should not be abused, a dental implant being ankylosis, while the tooth has an elastic damping system (periodontal);
– Natural tooth feel. The transmission of masticatory forces directly to the bone gives a sensation of "ownness", superior to that given by a prosthetic work that has teeth as pillars. It is believed that if a patient is healthy enough to have a tooth extracted, then a dental implant can be inserted.
Contraindications of dental implant prosthesis
– Insufficient bone supply: the height and thickness of the available bone and the space between the teeth that border the edentulous gap.
– Pathological formations (cysts, tumors, granulation tissue) present in the areas where prosthetics with a dental implant is desired.
– Administration of certain types of treatment (anticoagulants, cytostatics, bisphosphonates, etc.)
Even in these cases, dental implant insertion, with a high success rate, is possible if the appropriate steps are taken:
– In the case of insufficient bone supply, the height and thickness of the bone can be brought to the desired dimensions by adding bone, for the dental implant.
– In the case of pathological formations, the dental implant insertion will be done after their removal.
– In the case of various treatments, after the cessation of their administration.
The risk factors that can lead to the loss of a dental implant
Bruxism, smoking and poor hygiene. If you are in one of the situations listed above, we can certainly find a solution to increase the success rate of dental implant prosthesis and to maintain the result over time. We will carefully analyze your state of health and find the right treatment. Age is not an impediment to benefit from a dental implant, but the general state of health of the patient is taken into account. This intervention takes about an hour or longer if several dental implants are inserted.
After 7 days, the sutures are removed, so that when examining the insertion site of the dental implants, the oral mucosa looks like it did before the surgery (the dental implants are not visible). After the complete healing of the bone (between 3 and 6 months), the gingival form (healing abutment) is attached for 7-14 days. Attaching the prosthetic abutment and prosthetics through crowns, bridges or prostheses require 3-4 sessions and last between 7 and 14 days. More details: dental implant risks and success rate.
Pre and post operative medical indications
They aim to:
- reduce healing times and wound sensitivity,
- increasing the success rate of the intervention and the comfort felt by the patient.
Preoperative: 7-10 days before the surgical intervention, cleaning the oral cavity (descaling, brushing, airflow) and the use of mouthwash with chlorhexidine 0.12%, without alcohol, is indicated. This protocol ensures a clean operating field, poor in pathogenic germs, optimal parameters for any type of surgical intervention.
Postoperative: Rinse the mouth with 0.12% chlorhexidine mouthwash, without alcohol.
- Gently clean the teeth and gums with a soft toothbrush. Do not touch the sutures if you have stitches.
- Eliminate dairy products, alcohol, hot foods, hard foods from your diet.
- Do not smoke during the healing period!
- For tenderness or pain, take anti-inflammatories. For edema cold applications on the inflamed area.
- Do not sleep on the inflamed side (heat increases inflammation).
Follow the medication prescribed by the implantologist.
Make an appointment
Sign up for a FREE consultation